National Geographic : 1937 Sep
THE ECLIPSE CAMP BROUGHT BRIEF LIFE AND BUSTLE TO A WIND-SWEPTDESERT ISLAND This general view of the camp is looking north. At the extreme left is the mess tent. In the left foreground are thetents oftheNew Zealand Eclipse Expedition, while beyond are the tents occupied by the National Geographic Society-U . S. Navy Expedition. The United States flag, andthe National Geographic Society's flag just below it, are flying on the pole in the center. The large structure is the wooden photographic darkroom built by the Expedition. Its roof was painted white toreflect thesun's rays, reducing its interior temperature by several degrees. Next to it is the long row of instruments mounted to point eastward out over thelagoon inthecenter of Canton Island. Dr. Gardner's camera, known as "Big Bertha," is at the extreme right. The "street" between the instruments and tents was called "Broadway," that between the two rows of tents was "Fifth Avenue." LIKE A BOOM TOWN, THE EXPEDITION'S TENT CITY SPREADS OVER THE SAND BEHINDABUSTLING WATER FRONT The first launch sent ashore from the Avocet built the little landing, using a float that had been brought from Honolulu and some timbers from asailing vessel wrecked here years before. In the quiet lagoon all supplies, including the heavy scientific equipment, were safely unloaded fromthe boats. The pile oflumber on the beach was used to construct the darkroom.