National Geographic : 1937 Sep
GULFPORT'S NEW PIER (LEFT). IS BIG ENOUGH FOR SIX FOOTBALLFIELDS Loading thousands of bales of cotton on Japanese ships, unloading sugar from Cuba and asphalt from Trinidad, sacking fertilizer from Chile for southern farms-all are in a day's work at Mississippi's only deep-water harbor. Unlike its venerable neighbors, Gulfport is a new city, conceived when the Gulf and Ship Island Railway, just fifty years ago, chose it for a salt-water terminal, and matured in 1902 when Captain J. T . Jones completed the railway, built aresort hotel, power plant, streetcar line, a creosoting plant, and a bank. A recent water-front improvement is a commodious harbor for small craft.