National Geographic : 1938 Feb
Photograph byFranklin Fisher HIGH ON A MOUNTAIN TOP STANDS THE LOST CITY OF THE INCAS, THE MAGNIFICENT BORDER CITADEL OFMACHU PICCHU Probably built to guard the Empire from invasion by sylvan savages, the fortress-city was uncovered in 1912byajoint expedition oftheNational Geographic Society and Yale University under the leadership of Hiram Bingham, later U. S . Senator from Connecticut. Sincethat time thelush, possessive vegetation hashad to be cleared away several times. On the eminence at the right stands the temple with its sundial (page 258), overlooking thecrumbling city and itssurrounding peaks, which were terraced almost to the top with vegetable gardens. Roofs are gone because they were made of thatch.