National Geographic : 1938 Mar
Photograph byB.Anthony Stewart PRINCE ALBERT GAZES DOWN FROM HIS PEDESTAL AS ST. PETER PORT DEDICATES ANEW AMBULANCE The band and troops of the regular Guernsey militia take part. Ceremonies on a Sunday morning follow servicesatthe oldtown church inthebackground. The nave of this structure dates from the thirteenth century, but an earlier one is mentioned in a charter of William the Conqueror granted about 1048. The statue ofQueen Victoria's Prince Consort, looking toward the southern pier of the old harbor, has been a landmark for three-quartersof acentury.