National Geographic : 1938 Jun
r'hotograph byJNylander ELECTRIC CRANES LINE THE QUAYS IN TALLINN HARBOR, KEPT OPEN BY ICEBREAKERS IN SEVERE WINTERS Since Estonia gained her independence, in 1918, the seaport has doubled its working and storage capacity. A new basin has been built alongside the old one; grain elevators and refrigeration plants have been erected. The name of the capital recalls the invasion of the Danes in theeleventh century, foritisderived from Taani linn, Estonian for "Danish castle." The conquerors themselves named the city Reval (page 788).