National Geographic : 1938 Jul
Photograph byCentral Press PLYMOUTH'S FOURTH BEACON, EDDYSTONE LIGHTHOUSE, LOOKS DOWN ON CRUEL ROCKS AND THE BASEOF ITS PREDECESSOR, SMEATON'S TOWER On Eddystone reef, menacing Channel shipping 14 miles from Plymouth, several lighthouses have stood. Winstanley'sTower, begun in1695, was swept away Novem ber 20, 1703, and its builder drowned. Rudyerd's Tower, completed in 1709, was burned in 1755. Smeaton's Tower, begun20 years before theDeclaration ofIndependence, withstood the elements for more than a century and now stands at Plymouth in honorable retirement (page 62). Plans for thepresent lighthouse, designed bySirJ.N. Douglass, were made by Trinity House in 1877. Its incandescent oil vapor lights, 133 feet above high-water level, can be seen for17miles.