National Geographic : 1914 Sep
Photo by Emil P.Albrecht ANCIENT CASTLE OF THE COUNT OF FLANDERS (IN POURING RAIN):GHENT, BELGIUM t Founded in the ninth century, rebuilt in 1180, and thereafter a residence of the Counts of Flanders. Itgives agood idea of amedieval fortress. Here Edward III and his queen, Philippa, were sumptuously entertained, and their son, John ofGaunt (that is.Gand orGhent), was born in 1340. In 1780 the castle was sold and converted into a factory, but it has since been laid open and restored. Asubterranean passage 2/ miles long led to a point outside the city, and was used by the troops who defended the castle.