National Geographic : 1914 Dec
ANOTHER VIEW OF THE MOSQUE OF SULTAN AIIMED, WITH THE HIPPODROME ON THE RIGHT The Hippodrome of Constantinople, by its great size dwarfing every other building in the entireRoman East, was world renowned. The stupendous structure, begun by Emperer Severus in 203, was about 1,400 feet long by 400 feet wide. Itcovered 123/10 acres of ground. No theater, no palace, no public building today has a promenade so magnificent as it had. Standing 40 feet above the ground, protected bysolid marble railing reaching to the breast, the spectator had a spacious avenue 2,766 feet in length along which towalk.