National Geographic : 1915 Jan
Photo and copyright byUnderwood &Underwood ANOTHER VIEW OF THE CITADEL AT CRACOW : THE MECCA OF POLISH HEARTS After Cracow lost its independence and became an Austrian city, the citadel was used as a barracks. This profanation oftheholy ofholies of Polish history grieved the Poles as few acts have ever hurt them. They begged to have the shrine oftheir aspirations restored. The Aus trian government agreed that if Cracow would provide other barracks the wishes of the Poles would bemet. Today therestoration isafact accomplished, and the citadel is a museum and memorial of the Polish people. The huge mound towering over thecitadel, inthebackground of the picture, is a tribute of the Polish people to Kosciuszko, hero alike of Poland and of America, whose sword was drawn forfreedom intheOld World and the New. Loyal Poles brought to this mound of earth soil from every battle-field on the face oftheglobe consecrated byPolish blood.