National Geographic : 1915 Feb
ON MARKET SQUARE IN BRAUNSCHWEIG (BRUNSWICK) "Buttressed by hoary history, golden with romance, rich in beautiful architecture and in the wisdom to cherish it, what wonder that Hildesheim's jewel, the Knochenhauer Amthaus, Braunschweig's Burg, Wernigerode's Rathaus, are the traveler's familiar friends!" (see text, page 122). distant, curving streets and dusky corners where one may readily walk hand-in hand with the sixteenth century. Tall timbered houses rise, one story over stepping another, until scarcely a strip of blue shows between the gables. Small casement windows open in close lines above a frieze delicately carved, gor geously painted; allegorical figures, imps, monsters, angels, and hobgoblins creep, crawl, or pose wherever they may find foothold. Look down from your win dow. In the square the bronze lion will recall that Henry the Lion whose town this was, and with the name more stirring history than one can well compress into a morning. And after Hildesheim and Braun schweig there are Goslar and Halber stadt, Osterode, Quedlinburg, Wernige rode-all close neighbors,all many-gabled, to dispute Miinster's claims. After these Harz towns, far to the southward, the unforgettable glories of Nurnberg and Rotenburg, of Wurzburg, Regensburg, and Ulm. Now, indeed, we feel that we have been overbold; in friendliness we have been unfriendly.