National Geographic : 1915 Mar
THE PUBLIC LIBRARY OFTHE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA Harmonizing with the spirit ofthe plans for theUltimate Wash ington, thePublic Li brary and its grounds give atouch ofbeauty toapart ofthe city beyond theneighbor hood oftheMall. The Public Library has become animpor tant literary and social center for the local pop ulation, who, through circulation, reference, technological and chil dren's departments, make large use ofits collections ofbooks, classified pamphlets, clippings and mounted pictures, who attend il lustrated lectures inits auditorium and hold in itsstudy rooms numer ousmeetings devoted tomany varied sub jects ofstudy and public questions. Not many years ago the site of this library was an ill-smelling, unsightly market-place. Acker man &Ross were the architects.