National Geographic : 1915 Mar
THE WHITE HOUSE-NORTH FRONT John Adams first occupied the structure in I8oo, although it was a grey house then, having been builtofVirginia freestone. When the British burned it in 1814, nothing was left but the blackened walls. White paint was used to cover the marks of the firewhen itwas rebuilt, and itbecame The White House" except in official usage. In that usage it was "The President's House" in the early years of therepublic; then itbecame "The Executive Man sion;" but finally President Roosevelt made formal usage correspond with popular thought, and "The WhiteHouse" itbecame, and doubtless will continue to be as long as the United States holds her membership in the family of nations. In the famous East Room, the Presidents ofacentury have held their stateliest functions, brides have taken their nuptial vows, and millions of American tourists have found inspiration togood citizenship asthey have come and gone in a century-long stream.