National Geographic : 1915 Jun
THE DOGE'S PALACE, OR WHITE HOUSE OF THE VENETIAN REPUBLIC Note the dome of St. Mark's on the left and the famous lion of St. Mark's surmounting the column ontheright. "What St.Mark's isasthe expression of the religious spirit, that the Ducal Palace is to the secular power, of Venice: it has scarcely arival even inItaly. Itwas begun in the 14th century and completed in the 15th after a long interruption. .. The very position ofthe palace, itsrelation tothechurch ofSt. Mark, its two fronts-one commanding the Piazzetta and the other the sea-declare the inner significance ofthebuilding; itisthefoundation, the very corner-stone, of all Venetian splendor.