National Geographic : 1915 Nov
Photo from Dr. Hugh M.Smith CHURCH OF THEIR MADELEINE: PARIS This church, built in the style of a Roman temple, was begun in 18o6, on the foundations of a church ofthe eighteenth century, byNapoleon Bonaparte, who intended it for a "temple of glory." The architect was Vignon, but the church was not finished until 1842, byHuv6. Itmeasures 354 by 141 feet and is 98 feet high. It is surrounded by a majestic colonnade of forty-eight splendid Corinthian columns.