National Geographic : 1916 May
Photograph byhiram Singham THE PRINCIPAL BUSINESS CORNER IN CUZCO On the left are the walls of the convent of La Merced, built in large part of stones taken from ancient Inca structures atthe time ofthe Spanish conquest. The advertisement thereon announces to the people even up in these remote mountain highlands the sufferings ofthe Belgians and bids them come to a benefit for the Belgian Red Cross at the Cuzco motion-picture theater. Prices were high and most ofthe people were poor, but the theater was crowded. In the middle of the picture are two llamas on their way to themarket-place with produce. At the right is the establishment of Don Cesar Lomellini, an Italian merchant, who has befriended our expeditioninevery way and has for several years acted as our agent in Cuzco without charge. On his wall is the advertisement that exchange on Lima maybebought atpar. He isnotonly abanker, but sells everything from sugar mills to American candy. Further down the street, under the flagstaff, isthe Cuzco post-office. The corner bal cony of the Lomellini building, upstairs, opens out of Don Cesar's private apartments. The next twobalconies, onthe left, open outofthe ware room which he put at the service of the expedition.