National Geographic : 1916 Oct
Photograph by Emil P. Albrecht THE ROMAN FORUM FROM THE PALATINE HILL: A ONCE MARSHY VALLEY, 22 FEET ABOVE THE TIBER, BETWEEN THE PALATINE, CAPITOLINE, AND ESOUILINE HILLS To drain the little streams that once flowed here, the Cloaca Maxima was constructed, a channel that still serves the city after twenty-four hun dred years. The great arches on the left belong to the Basilica of Constantine, 300 feet by 261 feet. The nave-vaulting of St. Peter's has the same span as these arches. The church with the beautiful belfry is Santa Francesca Romana, originally Sancta Maria Nova. The church was restored in 1216, but the facade is by Maderna, 1615. It covers the site of Hadrian's magnificent Temple of Venus and Roma, a double temple, the apses back to back, built according to Hadrian's own plan, 135 A. D . (see page 304).