National Geographic : 1922 Jun
PIAZZA DEL POPOLO Named for the extensive grove of poplar trees that surrounded the Mausoleum of Augustus, Piazzadel Popolo isthe largest and finest square in Rome. In the center of the square is a magnificent Egyptian obelisk of red granite with four marble lions atthe base, from the mouths of which issue copious streams of water. This obelisk was erected in the Circus Maximus in 10 B. C., tocommemorate Octavius' defeat ofAntony and Cleopatra, and was dedicated to the sun. It was moved to its present position in 1589.