National Geographic : 1923 May
Photograph by Edgar Aldrich TWO WHEELS FROM THE CHARIOT OF A PHARAOH Made of wood, gilded, and with bronze hubs, these wheels are being removed from the tomb of King Tutankhamen byMr. Howard Carter and Mr. A. C . Mace, of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York. Each wheel has six spokes, as thesculpturing on the sides of ancient temples has shown was customary for Egyptian chariots.