National Geographic : 1924 Apr
Photographs by Maynard Owen VW\illiams VICTORY (LEFT), FOUND IN 1894 ON THE BYRSA, AND ABUNDANCE (RIGHT), RECONSTRUCTED FROM 250 FRAGMENTS The sculptures are Roman. On the small column pedestal under the portico to the right of Abundance isasmall statue of.Esculapius and the little god Telesphore. This small statue illustrates the perplexities and joys of the archeologist. Severalyears after thebody ofthestatue was found Pere Delattre was conducting a professor from Algiers around the Necropolis on the hill of Saint Monica, probably amile away from theByrsa, where the body was found. His workmen were just then unearthing a marble head. The savant at once suggested that itseemed tobelong tothebody found years before. The whole party started for the museum, hoping to see the reunion of torso and head, butwhen thetwo were brought into close relation it seemed that the head was too large for the body. Pire Delattre then fitted the head on to thebody, and soperfect was theunion that one could scarcely see the point of junction. A part of the arm was found at the same time and in the sameplace.