National Geographic : 1924 Apr
Photograph by Kilophot MOUNT CALVARY, OVERLOOKING CASTELROTTO When this town belonged to Austria, prior to 1919, it was known as Kastelruth. It is the old Roman stronghold, Kastellum Ruptum, set on a green knoll with a grass-grown belt of masonry. Below is a crooked lane of houses with high-pitched gables and out-thrust windows all askew, pro jecting signs, and frescoed saints. The medieval costume for the men of the town is a resplendent sight-shoes of white leather with broad red tongues, plum-color coats faced with scarlet, and hats of yellow felt, gay with ribbons, flowers, feathers, andgold lace. This hill isthe scene of religious processions at Eastertime.