National Geographic : 1924 Aug
Photograph byArienne Bernon CARCASSONNE FROM THE AIR: LIKE A PAINTED TOWN UPON A PAINTEDLANDSCAPE Seventy-five miles east of Montespan lies Carcassonne, whose ancient fortifications probably have no equal forcompleteness and strength inall Europe. This airplane view shows clearly the remarkable double line of ramparts, of which the outer measures more than 1,6oo yards incircum ference. These ramparts are protected at frequent intervals by towers and can be entered only by two gates, both ofwhich areelaborately fortified. In the central foreground is the chteau, and to the right the old cathedral of St. Nazaire, dating from theeleventh tothefourteenth centuries. A portion of the inner line of defenses is attributed to the Visigoths of the sixth century; the rest, including thecastle, totheeleventh ortwelfth century, while the outer rampart was probably built in the thirteenth century.