National Geographic : 1925 Jan
Photograph by S.Badia THE COURT OF THE THOUSAND COLUMNS, LOOKING SOUTHWEST FROM THE NORTHEAST INTERIOR CORNER This great court, enclosing an area of five acres, is the center of the Group of the Thousand Columns, that part ofthe city now being excavated. The name has been derived from the commonest architectural feature of the group, the round column. More than athousand ofthese have been counted in the different temples, halls, and colonnades surrounding the court. These columns, composed of drum-like sections, averaging just under 2feet in diameter, are from 8 to 10 feet in height. A few of the halls have square columns instead of round ones;these also aremade insections. Most ofthe columns are plain, though a few are sculptured with the figures of gods, rulers, and priests. This group dates from the Toltec-Aztec Period atChichen Itza and is between five and eight centuries old.