National Geographic : 1925 Jul
THE NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC MAGAZINE 'ANYTHING FOR ME?'" A letter carrier of the Wolfach Valley, Black Forest region, and a peasant woman in her Sunday best. These costumes are worn only on Sundays, wedding days, and at funerals. jailer was unable on one occasion to show some visitors through the cells "because," he explained, "the prisoners have gone off on a walking trip and have taken the keys with them." FIVE GREAT RIVERS PAY TRIBUTE TO STRASBHOORG From Heidelberg we proceeded to Kehl, where we passed through the French customs, then crossed the Rhine, out of Germany and into Alsace-Lorraine. Our stroll around Strasbourg revealed, in a kind of lagoon where three canals met, barges moving to and from such widespread points as Marseille, Paris, and Amsterdam. In fact, Strasbourg is a plexus of waterways. The rivers Rhine, Meuse, Marne, Seine, and Rhone all con tribute segments to a great circle of canals which has Strasbourg on its eastern circum ference. This ancient Celtic to w n still justifies, therefore, its historic name of Stratisbur gum, or Town-on-the Routes. We arrived at the cathedral in time to see the noonday func tioning of its curious astronomical c 1 oc k, with its parading effi gies of the Apostles, its crowing cock, its skeleton striker of the hours, its seven pagan deities symbolizing the days of the week-the whole suggesting the quaint conceits of Ger man toymakers. Rising like some an cientlandmark be tween France an d Germany, Strasbourg cathedral reveals, quite naturally, art in fluences of both coun- tries. Its rich beauty was evolved throughout some 250 years by master architects from several coun tries; and its abutting tower displays at a dizzy height the scratched names of many distinguished pilgrims, including Voltaire and Goethe, from both sides of the Rhine. In these several senses it might be called an international cathedral. Strasbourg came into French hands for two centuries when, in 1648, Alsace was ceded to France in recompense for pro tection extended to the German Protestant princes. In 1870 the city capitulated to Germany after a seven weeks' siege. In November, 1918, it was reoccupied by French troops.