National Geographic : 1926 Mar
Photograph by Charles E.Ward THE SPHINX AND ITS ENVIRONS PHOTOGRAPHED FROM THE TOP OF THE PYRAMID OF CHEOPS (SEE PAGE 270) In ancient Egypt cities were usually built on the east bank of the Nile, and the royal cemeteries, or "cities of the dead," were located on the west side of the river. This gave rise to the association of the land of the dead with the West. The Sphinx, seen inthe central foreground, has watched whole dynasties of great rulers pass into the "Western Land." In the middle distance, to the left, isaresthouse belonging tothe Egyptian Government; to the right is a village cemetery.