National Geographic : 1926 Jul
THE WORLD'S GREAT WATERFALLS United States-Canadian boundary line, falls Niagara, the world's most famous cataract. A million springs pour half the fresh water of the world into the basins of the four great lakes which are Niagara's sources. As the vast inland sea of Superior fills and overflows its basin, the waters descend and mingle with those of Huron and Michigan, and the three lakes pour the com bined flood of their overflow into Lake Erie. The vast aggregate volumes of the four great lakes, seeking from their elevated plateau sea level and their ultimate goal the ocean, break through a notch in the east rim of Erie's basin. In a comparatively narrow channel, contracting from over two miles to one mile in width above the Falls, and to a few hundred feet below, these waters descend leisurely and smoothly for half of their 36 miles of jour ney to Ontario; then rush for a mile or two in white-capped, mountainous waves of fierce rap ids; then plunge in a majestic fall into a chasm of a mile's contour in irregular semicircle at the precipice edge; then, cramped within narrow limits by precipi tous banks, they rage in whirlpool and whirlpool rapids; and finally resume their dignified, unhurried pace for the rest of the way to THI Lake Ontario. Ath THE FALLS AND CHASM OF At this ste NIAGARA Here t or Pla Shortly before the precipitous narrow cliff over which the Niagara hurls liant w itself is reached, an island (yclept Goat) separates the river into two channels, about 6 per cent of the water passing to the right, over the so-called American Fall (167 feet high), in a symmetrical sheet about I,ooo feet wide, and the remaining 94 per cent to the left, over the Horseshoe, or so-called Ca nadian, Fall (158 feet high), in 3,000 feet of irregular and semicircular distorted outline. Goat Island, separating the two falls with 1,300 feet of precipice edge, completes Niagara's mile of contour. Photograph by Joseph E. Pogue E SEETHING TURBULENCE OF TEQUENDAMA FALLS: NEAR BOGOTA, COLOMBIA lunderbolt, according to Chibcha tradition, struck *ep escarpment and made an outlet for a huge lake. he small Bogota River plunges from the Sabana, in of Bogota, to a depth of 450 feet, its waters 'ing to 40 feet and forming a mass of noisy, bril 'hite. A whole library has been printed con cerning Niagara. Artists and word paint ers, eloquent prose writers, poets of high and low degree, have vied in accurate and vivid picturing of its wonders. It is easily accessible and the average American and many travelers from abroad have seen it. Minute description of its grandeur can convey no conception to him who is a stranger to its wonders. To those who know it well such description is super fluous.