National Geographic : 1928 Mar
MICHIGAN, MISTRESS OF THE LAKES Photograph by Felix J. Koch A CORNER TOWER OF THE OLD FORT AT MACKINAC ISLAND This stronghold was once termed the Gibraltar of America because of its strategic position between Lake Huron and Lake Michigan. It was built by the British in 1780 and relinquished to the United States in 1796 (see, also, text, page 308). OLD INDIAN CRAVES IN THE CEMETERY AT DOLLAR SETTLEMENT, NEAR BRIMLEY The wooden covers are for the protection of food, tobacco, etc., formerly brought to the graves by relatives of the departed. This custom has been discontinued. The cemetery is one of a scant few remaining in Michigan to-day.