National Geographic : 1928 Jul
UNSPOILED CYPRUS ST. ANNE'S HAS WEATHERED STORM AND WAR Mutilated when the Turks bombarded Famagusta in 1571, and once degraded to a stable, this small church, nevertheless, remains one of the best-preserved architectural examples of medievalism in Cyprus. At both ends of the belfry is a curious half-gable, a local invention of Cypriote masons. In the left background is the former Cathedral of St. Nicholas, now the Mosque of Ay. Sofia; at the right is a ponderous, earthquake-shaken structure called by some historians the Church of Saints Peter and Paul. DESOLATE SALAMIS WAS ONCE A BUSINESS CAPITAL OF THE ROMAN WORLD This marble forum was one of the largest ever built by the Romans. The sand-clogged site dates back to pre-Trojan War days. After the Arabs destroyed the city in 647, fragments were taken from these ruins to build Famagusta, six miles away.