National Geographic : 1928 Nov
Photograph by Charles Martin ARLINGTON'S FIRST PROPRIETOR IS BURIED HERE The obelisk at the left is over the grave of George Washington Parke Custis, "the child of Mount Vernon," born at Mount Airy, Maryland, April 30, 1781; died at Arlington House October o1, 1857. The monu ment to the right, beyond the tree, is that of Mary Lee Fitzhugh Custis, a descendant of the Fitzhughs and Randolphs of Virginia, who died at Arlington House April 23, 1853. The entire inclosure is carpeted with lilies of the valley. Photograph by Orren R.Louden THE FIRST TOMBFOR UNKNOWN DEAD IN ARLINGTON The inscription reads:"Beneath this stone repose the bones of ,two thousand one hundred and eleven unknown soldiers, gathered after the war from the fields of Bull Run and the route tothe Rappahannock. Their remains could not be identified, but their names and deaths are recorded in the archives of their country; and itsgrateful citizens honor them as of their noble army ofmartyrs. May they rest inpeace. September, A. D. 1866."