National Geographic : 1929 Nov
Photograph by Compagnie Aerienne Francaise HERE LIVES FOR AYE THE SPIRIT OF MILITANT FRANCE The Hotel des Invalides, founded by Louis XIV and begun in 1671, was built to house 5,000 to 7,000 disabled veterans, butto-day itisamuseum of arms and shelters only about 80 old soldiers, who act as guides. The seat of French military affairs was moved tothis building in1898. Under the dome is the tomb of Napoleon. At the right side of the rectangular court, shown slightly above andtothe left ofthemain structure, istherail way coach in which the Armistice was signed (see, also, illustration, page 542).